8/7/13

Weddi-quette Wednesday

I have a small rant to share today. Its something that has been bothering me for some time, but recently, probably since its so prominent, its actually making me angry.

As you all know, I have a serious facination with the Duchess, Kate Middleton. I'm sure by now you've heard that she's had a baby. Perhaps you've only heard about this baby because the media has been talking about her weight for the past week now. That's right, not the fact that she had a healthy, baby boy…no no, the fact that she has a tummy. Some people have celebrated that, others have critcized and suggested a weight loss plan. Do you want to know what I thought when I saw her on the cover of this week's People magazine? I thought she looked radient, so happy! She was truly glowing, just like every new Mom should be. I'd also be remiss to note that I noticed her amazing dress! I barely noticed her stomach and if I did, it wouldn't have been a shock. SHE JUST HAD A BABY. Why the media chooses to hone in and bully these celebrities is completely beyond me.

I used to be so disgusted in line at the grocery store when I saw photo's of Jessica Simpson and Kim Kardashian, accompanied by mean headlines about their baby bodies. Why, why are people so quick to judge these ladies? They are performing one of the most amazing miracles any woman could hope to preform and instead of celebrating that they're healthy and how exciting it is, the media calls them fat.  Sure, they could maybe make different wardrobe choices, but at the end of the day, that choice is their's and their's alone.

What message is this sending to the rest of the women of the world? Never mind the fact that you've just put your body through more stress then it will have ever gone through by GROWING A HUMAN BEING and then delievering said human being, but now, instead of taking a nap or eating a pint of ice cream, you should be doing sit up's?! Ya, no. Believe me when I say I think you should be healthy. I truly believe a healthy diet and exercise is important and do make an effort to be a health concious person most of the time. But, I also believe in living life, which includes eating junk food and laying on the couch. Does that make you a bad person? Not in my books. And hey, to all of those new mommies out there reading this, you deserve whatever the heck you want! A nap, a burger and a good cry if that is what is going to make you feel good. You just did the most amazing thing in the entire world, GO YOU!

How about when Kourtney Kardashian was in the media about taking her sweet time to get back down to her pre-baby weight. Its not like she has 2 kids or anything, she has all the time in the world to work out and get back down to her pre-baby weight. I know people say she has an entire staff on hand to make this goal attainable, but I saw an interview with her saying she wanted to do it the healthy way. Slow and natural. Here's another shocking thought. Maybe she liked the way she felt post baby. Maybe she felt powerful.

Body image is already such a touchy subject. You have to be so incredibly careful about what you say to someone and how you say it. The media, in my opinion, has to be even more careful. Every body is different, every person reacts differently to foods, exercise and criticism. I know that celebrities sign up for a life in the spotlight, I completely agree that they shouldn't complain that people want to know more about them and watch their every move. Its not brand new information that, that is what happens when you become famous. But, I do not think that gives us a free pass at highlighting them in a negative light. Could you imagine if you were feeling bloated, moody and sensative and you happened to walk by your face on the cover of a magazine and basically see someone mocking you. Lovely. Super fair. Who is that making feel good, I would love to know. If its you, you're sick. These are normal people, human beings with feelings, just like everyone else.

So here is what I have to say. Kate, Kim, Kourtney, Jessica and any other Mom out there. You rock. Plain and simple. You need to remember that and be out there showing people that it can be tough to lose the weight, that it can take some time to adjust, that being beautiful doesn't have to mean being ripped 24-7.

If you made it this far into my rant, thanks for reading! I hope no one was offended, I just needed to get that business off my chest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover