3/27/12

Top 10 Tuesday!

One of my favorite Spring and Summer activities is reading a good book in the beautiful sunshine! I haven't posted a Top 10 Books post in a while and I think now is the perfect time! Being a self-proclaimed book worm, I've discovered May and June is the most popular time for new books to be released, I believe this is because way more people read in the summer, on holiday's, at cottages or just as something to relax and unwind with! There is truly nothing better in my mind then heading down to the dock at the cottage on a sunny day armed with a good book and great company! I'm already looking forward to our cottage reading dates, Michelle!

So, now I'm sure you're all wondering what will be on my reading list this summer, here we go!

Another Piece of My Heart, By Jane Green
Jane Green has yet to disappoint me, her writing style is so honest and lovely. This book sounds every bit of amazing as all of her others, I just ordered it on my Kindle! Here is Amazon's description:

Andi has spent much of her adult life looking for the perfect man, and at thirty-seven, she's finally found him.  Ethan--divorced with two daughters, Emily and Sophia--is a devoted father and even better husband.  Always hoping one day she would be a mother, Andi embraces the girls like they were her own. But in Emily’s eyes, Andi is an obstacle to her father’s love, and Emily will do whatever it takes to break her down. When the dynamics between the two escalate, they threaten everything Andi believes about love, family, and motherhood—leaving both women standing at a crossroad in their lives…and in their hearts.

The Gallow's Bird, By Camilla Lackberg
I recently just picked up the first book in this series of psychological thrillers and cannot put it down! Camilla is a stunning writer, the plot continually twists and turns and leaves me wondering who the villain is! She has all of the makings of an awesome crime writer and I was thrilled to learn there were many more books to the popular Swedish series. Here is the Amazon description:

A woman is found dead, apparently the victim of a tragic car crash. It's the first in a spate of seemingly inexplicable accidents in Tanumshede and marks the end of a quiet winter for detective Patrik Hedstrom and his colleagues. At the same time a reality TV show is being shot in the town. As cameras shadow the stars' every move, relations with the locals are strained to breaking point. When a drunken party ends with a particularly unpopular contestant's murder, the cast and crew are obvious suspects. Could there be a killer in their midst? As the country tunes in, the bodies mount up. Under the intense glare of the media spotlight, Patrik faces his toughest investigation yet!

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And other concerns), By Mindy Kaling
I am a super fan of the funny girl. I have a full on love affair with Chelsea Handler (in the most normal way possible) I'd like to think that she is the boozier verison of me. I have religiously, read every one of Miss Handler's books and laughed until I cried throughout every one. (WARNING- try not to read them in public places, you will end up embarrassed from the unattractive laughter you're emitting, I promise) It's really time for her to pump out another one.

When I read the description of this book, I immediately knew I would love it! She sounds like my kind of gal! I cannot wait to pick this one up and continue to live in my fantasy land where Chelsea Handler, Jennifer Aniston, Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolf and I all vacation together, because we're besties. It sounds like we'd be inviting Mindy to come along as well. Here is the Amazon description:

Mindy Kaling has lived many lives: the obedient child of immigrant professionals, a timid chubster afraid of her own bike, a Ben Affleck–impersonating Off-Broadway performer and playwright, and, finally, a comedy writer and actress prone to starting fights with her friends and coworkers with the sentence “Can I just say one last thing about this, and then I swear I’ll shut up about it?”

Perhaps you want to know what Mindy thinks makes a great best friend (someone who will fill your prescription in the middle of the night), or what makes a great guy (one who is aware of all elderly people in any room at any time and acts accordingly), or what is the perfect amount of fame (so famous you can never get convicted of murder in a court of law), or how to maintain a trim figure (you will not find that information in these pages). If so, you’ve come to the right book, mostly!

City of Lost Souls, By Cassandra Clare
Alright, you've caught me. I am a lover of YA fantasy novels. This all started with Harry Potter and grew totally out of control with series like Twilight (Team Jacob!), The Hunger Games (Team Peeta, did anyone envision he would be played by Liam Hemsworth, talk about incorrect casting!) anyways, you get it, I'm a sucker for a good fantasy series and this one did not disappoint! City of Lost Souls is the 5th installment of The Mortal Instruments series, I cannot wait to find out what is going on, as Ms. Clare is a fan of the cliff hanger ending! Here is the Amazon description:
 
Can the lost be reclaimed? What price is too high to pay for love? Who can be trusted when sin and salvation collide?
 
Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. 
 
Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.
 
Where We Belong, By Emily Giffin
Something Borrowed is one of my all time favorite books, thank you Emily Giffin for giving me that little piece of heaven. It's really no surprise that I cannot wait to read her newest book! Here is the Amazon description:

Marian Caldwell is a thirty-six year old television producer, living her dream in New York City. With a fulfilling career and satisfying relationship, she has convinced everyone, including herself, that her life is just as she wants it to be. But one night, Marian answers a knock on the door . . . only to find Kirby Rose, an eighteen-year-old girl with a key to a past that Marian thought she had sealed off forever. From the moment Kirby appears on her doorstep, Marian’s perfectly constructed world—and her very identity—will be shaken to its core, resurrecting ghosts and memories of a passionate young love affair that threaten everything that has come to define her.
For the precocious and determined Kirby, the encounter will spur a process of discovery that ushers her across the threshold of adulthood, forcing her to re-evaluate her family and future in a wise and bittersweet light. As the two women embark on a journey to find the one thing missing in their lives, each will come to recognize that where we belong is often where we least expect to find ourselves—a place that we may have willed ourselves to forget, but that the heart remembers forever.

Jeneration X, By Jen Lancaster 
Like most of the books I have mentioned, Jen Lancaster is one of my all time favorite authors. Most of her books have been high-larious memoirs, also ending in tear inducing laughter, and her foray into the world of fiction was fantastic as well! I am a huge cheerleader of Ms. Lancaster, mainly because I emailed her with praise and guess what! She emailed me back. Anyone who takes time out of their day to do that, stays in my heart forever! I will continue to support her until she writes her last book, which hopefully will not be anytime soon. This newest memoir has already been pre-ordered by yours truly! Here is the Amazon description:

One Reluctant Adult's Attempt to Unarrest Her Arrested Development; Or, Why It's Never Too Late for Her Dumb Ass to Learn Why Froot Loops Are Not for Dinner.

The Next Best Thing, By Jennifer Weiner
Jennifer Weiner is another one of my all time favorites (they're all releasing books at the same time! It's like winning the lottery!!!) I enjoy Jennifer heroines, they're usually not your typical chick lit heroine, they're quirky, funny and far from perfect! I can't wait to pick up her newest installment! Here is the Amazon description:

At twenty-three, Ruth Saunders headed west with her seventy-year-old grandma in tow, hoping to be hired as a television writer. Four years later, she’s hit the jackpot when she gets The Call: the sitcom she wrote, The Next Best Thing, has gotten the green light, and Ruthie’s going to be the show-runner. But her dreams of Hollywood happiness are threatened by demanding actors, number-crunching executives, an unrequited crush on a boss, and her grandmother’s impending nuptials. 

Set against the fascinating backdrop of Los Angeles show business culture, with an insider’s ear and eye for writer’s rooms, bad behavior backstage and set politics, Jennifer Weiner’s new novel is a rollicking ride on the Hollywood roller coaster and a heartfelt story about what it’s like for a young woman to love, and lose, in the land where dreams come true. 

Insurgent, By Veronia Roth
If you've read The Hunger Games and were said that ended too soon, then you'll want to pick up this similar feeling series! Insurgent is the 2nd book, so read Divergent first, that was another one I could not put down! I'm so eager to learn what happens to Tris in the world of Factions and war! Here is the Amazon description:

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.
Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

The Rise of Nine, By Pittacus Lore

The third installment to the I am Number Four series emerges this summer as well, please don't let the movie dictate your feelings on this story, it didn't do the book justice at all! The second book of this series "The Power of Six" was way better then I am Number Four, which was good on it's own! So I have faith this will measure up!!

Amazon has yet to release a description, this author is a little bit strange, so just trust me when I say these books are great!

Beautiful Creatures, By Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
This is the first book of a series I have yet to pick up. It was recommended to me by a fellow book lover that has yet to steer me wrong! I'm looking forward to checking out this series! Here is Amazon's description:

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.


Well folks, that's it from me! There are other books on my list of course! But, it would take me forever to share them all :) Happy reading in the sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover