12/13/14

Dear Jack,

I'm finding this space is the easiest place to keep all of my thoughts, while I have no clue what methods of social media my sweet boy will be using in the future, I hope he reads my blog. I think it will give him good insight to the kind of lady his momma was when he was born and who she was long before that!

I've had a lot of time to think about the things I want to teach Jack, the man he turns into relies hugely on the kind of person I plan on raising. So here is what I want him to know...

Dear Jack,

First off, you are the most incredible gift I have ever been given. I thank God each and every day that he picked me to be your Mommy. This is by far the most important and wonderful thing that has ever happened to me. I've heard how lucky Jack is to have such a caring Mom, I'm the one whose lucky though, buddy. I get the chance to know and raise such a perfect little guy. There are some very important things you need to know.

The two most important things you can aspire to be in this life are kind and happy. I truly don't care about anything else, I don't care how many sports you play, what universities or colleges you get into, how much money you make or who you chose to marry. I care if you do the right thing. I care if you're the type of person people want to be around, the type of person that puts a smile on other people's faces. I care if you pick a career and a wife that makes you happy, not someone else. I care that you try your best and meet your potential, that does not include the potential someone else has in mind, its the potential you have in your heart. You will always know, deep down inside, if you're doing the right thing, listen to that voice, that voice is right 100% of the time.

Never ever bully. This is not ever going to be tolerated. I hope that I raise you to be the guy that stands up for those who are not strong enough to stand up for themselves. Everyone is different and has insecurities, picking on those things will never make you feel better, in fact, they will make you feel worse. Building other people up and finding the good will make you feel better.

Looks are not even close to everything. When you're making friends or dating (heaven help me!) remember that it really is what's inside that counts most. Find people that make you laugh until it hurts, that like the same things as you and that value you! Because I have a feeling you're going to be pretty great. Looks fade, laughter doesn't.

There will be times where you feel alone, where you feel confused and hurt, you will have your heart broken and have to make hard decisions. This is all part of life, my love. In these instances I hope that I have done a good enough job to let you know you can always, always come to me. I will do my best to give you advice, not judge and be a sounding board. If nothing else I will give you the best hug, because sometimes, all you need is a hug from your Mom.

I hope you continue to be inquisitive and I hope you have a sense of wonder. I am watching only the beginning right now, watching you learn how to sit up on your own, grab a toy, figure out who people are, for the record, you definitely know who I am, you don't like to be away for too long. You love bright things, you love your giraffe Percy and you love to hold on to anything you can wrap your sweet, chubby little fingers around. I hope you continue to discover things, good things, like books because stories can transport you anywhere, good food (be more adventurous then your Dad and I) and most importantly the world. Your Dad and I love to travel, we haven't even scratched the surface, we are going to raise you to see new places and have new experiences, even if its a small town an hour away from home. Finding new places is exciting, visiting somewhere new presents a magic that only getting off a plane can make you feel.

Most importantly, love and be open to being loved, because there is nothing better. I look at you and wonder how my heart can even hold this much love. I hold you close on walks, smelling your sweet baby smell and feel like my heart is going to explode, seriously, how did I get so lucky? I've only known you a few short months, I am sure there will be a million other important things I want you to know, but these are the things I've been telling you so far. Yes, I talk to you about these things, I am aware you're still little and don't know what I'm saying, but who knows?

I love you so much Jack and I hope you have the most amazing life.

Love Mommy xo



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover