10/26/11

Weddi-quette Wednesday!

Good Afternoon my lovely readers! I hope you're all having a fantastic, rain filled week! My apologies for not posting my Top 10 Tuesday yesterday! It's back to back wedding mayhem for the wedding girl! Nancy's wedding was beautiful last weekend, held in Toronto's famed Distillery District, it was truly a stunning wedding that I will never forget. I will ensure to post some photo's of their magical day! This coming weekend is the wonderful Alison's wedding! So suffice to say, it's been a bit crazy, but I love it!

I could not ignore a Weddi-quette Wednesday though, this is the weekly post I get the most questions about! Never one to disappoint, I think I've come up with a great topic today. After having some time to play around on Colin Cowie's website (which I adore) I came across a question someone had asked him:

What if I didn't receive a gift from one of my guests? Should I write a note thanking them for attending? Should I ask them about a gift in case it got lost?

Colin's Answer reads as follows; Never call to ask whether someone sent a gift. It's presumptuous. Guest's have up to a year after your wedding to send gift without breaching the rules in anybodies etiquette book.

There is no need to send someone a thank you note for simply attending the wedding, unless you feel a real closeness to the person or they did something special for you at the wedding.

Here are my thoughts on the issue. It is strange when people show up to a wedding without a gift. So strange in fact that it is normal to question whether or not you should send along a note double checking the gift didn't get misplaced. The thing is we have no idea why other people make the decisions they do, at the end of the day, what is more important? That they showed up to celebrate with you or got you a gift? As hard as it is to see, maybe they have some extenuating circumstances as to why they couldn't get you a gift for the big day, but it will be in the mail shortly. Or maybe they just couldn't bring one at all. Hopefully this is for an understandable reason and not something the guest did in poor taste.

That all being said, if you're invited to a wedding, you are expected to show up with a gift. It's supposed to be approximately $100 per person. I get it, that may be a high number for some people, so do your best. Maybe you have a service you could offer instead of a gift? Maybe you could make something special. At the end of the day it's always the thought that counts. Try your best not to show up empty handed.

Just remember, you're married now! You're starting a life with your very best friend! Will you remember 10 years down the road who gave you what for your wedding? Or will you remember all of the fun you had? And all of the cupcakes you ate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover